- COMPETING AT BAKING. (1)
- Nick: What’s fascinating, though, is that there isn’t any cash prize for the winner. It’s purely...
- POETRY AND BASEBALL. (2)
- Nick: Correction! It’s @mornacale on Twitter. Slight typo.
- THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. (1)
- Nick: I believe the live draft has value above and beyond nostalgia and the social benefit of seeing people in...
- THE ETIQUETTE OF EATING PEAS (COMMENT). (1)
- Nick: As is so often the case, the Simpsons have indirectly weighed in on this issue, as Homer clumsily and...
- EATING PEAS WITH A KNIFE. (1)
- milton: What was the origin of eating peas with a knife ? Comic strip ? I remember it from the late 40s.. m “I...
- A MOSQUITO AND DNA. (1)
- Nick: Not to take away from how cool that is, but I’d have to think a defense attorney would have a field day...
- HUNTERS IN THE SNOW (WINTER)—THE PAINTING. (1)
- Nick: I haven’t looked at this painting in years, but upon looking at it again I was reminded of what...
- ECONOMICS IS “A COLLECTION OF FUNNY STORIES ABOUT UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES”. (1)
- Nick: In a Simpsons episode, Bart protects two rare lizards such that they are able to breed. The population...
- A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). (1)
- Nick: And all of this to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist. Intentional walks and extra innings games...
- A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. (1)
- Nick: I’m not a purist, but the problem with this rule is it seems that it would likely result in a bunting...
- “ŚMIGUS-DYNGUS”—A GOOD WORD FOR THE DICTIONARY GAME. (1)
- Nick: We’ve gotten a lot of joy out of a similar game called “Wise & Otherwise.” Instead of a...
- ARMAGEDDON CHESS AND “ARMAGEDDON BASEBALL”. (1)
- Nick: Given how many arms teams tend to have stashed in AAA, it’s not that hard to call up players as needed...
- COMPETING AT BAKING. (1)
Category Archives: Sports
ARMAGEDDON FOOTBALL—-AN AUCTION TO SEE WHO GETS THE BALL FIRST IN OVERTIME IN THE SUPERBOWL? I posted here about the asymmetry in the Armageddon Chess that is the ultimate tiebreaker in world championship chess matches. In the post I endorsed … Continue reading
WAS WINNING THE COIN FLIP THE MOST IMPORTANT PLAY IN THE 2017 SUPERBOWL? A number of sportswriters have argued that the most important play in the 2017 Superbowl was the coin flip.The game was tied at the end of regulation. … Continue reading
ARMAGEDDON CHESS AND “ARMAGEDDON BASEBALL”. I refer to the proposed change in baseball’s rules for extra innings as “Armageddon Baseball” because it resembles Armageddon Chess, which I posted on here. The major similarity is that a rule has been proposed … Continue reading
A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. According to this article by Jeff Passan on the Yahoo sports website, major league baseball is planning to test in the minor leagues this season a new rule which would automatically place a runner … Continue reading
THE THREE LITTLE POLGAR GIRL. I was a little saddened to see in the articles about Hou Yifan that Judit Polgar, who had been the women’s world chess champion for almost 25 years, had retired. At one time she was … Continue reading
A RANDOM EVENT? I could not find in the journalism that I looked at the key fact in trying to assess what happened: What percentage of the players in the tournament were women? (I looked at a list of competitors, … Continue reading
A CHESS SCANDAL—OR A RANDOM EVENT? Here is the background for Hou Yifan’s protest: She has won four Women’s World Championships and has a rating of 2651 that is close to the top 100 in men’s rankings. She had declined … Continue reading
A CHESS SCANDAL? Nick e mailed me this link to a story about how Hou Yifan, the best woman chess player in the world, had lost a game in only five moves in the final match of an important chess … Continue reading
THE CANADIAN SPORT OF AXE THROWING. I have posted a number of reports on the invention of new sports. I had missed this article in the September 2016 Atlantic by Bianca Bosker on Canadian axe throwing. She begins the article … Continue reading