- COMPETING AT BAKING. (2)
- POETRY AND BASEBALL. (2)
- Nick: Correction! It’s @mornacale on Twitter. Slight typo.
- THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. (1)
- Nick: I believe the live draft has value above and beyond nostalgia and the social benefit of seeing people in...
- THE ETIQUETTE OF EATING PEAS (COMMENT). (1)
- Nick: As is so often the case, the Simpsons have indirectly weighed in on this issue, as Homer clumsily and...
- EATING PEAS WITH A KNIFE. (1)
- milton: What was the origin of eating peas with a knife ? Comic strip ? I remember it from the late 40s.. m “I...
- A MOSQUITO AND DNA. (1)
- Nick: Not to take away from how cool that is, but I’d have to think a defense attorney would have a field day...
- HUNTERS IN THE SNOW (WINTER)—THE PAINTING. (1)
- Nick: I haven’t looked at this painting in years, but upon looking at it again I was reminded of what...
- ECONOMICS IS “A COLLECTION OF FUNNY STORIES ABOUT UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES”. (1)
- Nick: In a Simpsons episode, Bart protects two rare lizards such that they are able to breed. The population...
- A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). (1)
- Nick: And all of this to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist. Intentional walks and extra innings games...
- A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. (1)
- Nick: I’m not a purist, but the problem with this rule is it seems that it would likely result in a bunting...
- “ŚMIGUS-DYNGUS”—A GOOD WORD FOR THE DICTIONARY GAME. (1)
- Nick: We’ve gotten a lot of joy out of a similar game called “Wise & Otherwise.” Instead of a...
Category Archives: Baseball
OGDEN NASH AND BASEBALL HISTORY. One reason that being part of a league with a history is appealing is that baseball fans generally love the history of baseball. As an example of the interest in baseball history of fans who … Continue reading
PLAYING BASEBALL USING 19TH CENTURY RULES. In addition to the display board, our league keeps the same categories that we started with in the first couple years. The league still has severe limits on substitution that originated when we the … Continue reading
THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. I have posted most years about when the oldest rotisserie baseball league begins its new season. Here is one of those posts that describes the league. I always enjoy the comments … Continue reading
A BASEBALL POEM BY OGDEN NASH. Here is a link to: “Line-Up For Yesterday, An ABC Of Baseball Immortals”. It was published by Sport Magazine in January, 1949. The link is to the Baseball almanac website, which points out that … Continue reading
THE DANNY MURTAUGH STORY. Danny Murtaugh had a long baseball career as a player and then as a manager. One of the highlights of the career came when he managed the Pittsburgh Pirates to a World Series win over the … Continue reading
BEER MADE WITH BASEBALL BAT SHAVINGS. This article reports that beer made with baseball bat shavings will be sold at the new Atlanta ballpark for all of the 20017 season. The beer will be aged atop wood that is waste … Continue reading
A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). I posted here five weeks ago about a proposed baseball rule change which would automatically place a runner on second base at the start of each extra inning. I said that my … Continue reading
ARMAGEDDON CHESS AND “ARMAGEDDON BASEBALL”. I refer to the proposed change in baseball’s rules for extra innings as “Armageddon Baseball” because it resembles Armageddon Chess, which I posted on here. The major similarity is that a rule has been proposed … Continue reading
A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. According to this article by Jeff Passan on the Yahoo sports website, major league baseball is planning to test in the minor leagues this season a new rule which would automatically place a runner … Continue reading