“THE LOMBARDI OF TEEN RUNNING”. Under the headline “The Lombardi of Teen Running”, Kevin Helliker wrote in the Wall Street Journal (December 13-14) about Bill Aris, the cross-country coach at Fayettevile-Manlius High School, near Syracuse, New York. His teams have won nine national titles in the last nine years. The scoring in team cross country consists of adding together the five best finishes for team members. His teams have won without ever having an individual national champion. His teams win because they have five runners with good scores.
- COMPETING AT BAKING. (2)
- POETRY AND BASEBALL. (2)
- Nick: Correction! It’s @mornacale on Twitter. Slight typo.
- THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. (1)
- THE ETIQUETTE OF EATING PEAS (COMMENT). (1)
- EATING PEAS WITH A KNIFE. (1)
- A MOSQUITO AND DNA. (1)
- HUNTERS IN THE SNOW (WINTER)—THE PAINTING. (1)
- ECONOMICS IS “A COLLECTION OF FUNNY STORIES ABOUT UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES”. (1)
- A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). (1)
- A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. (1)
- “ŚMIGUS-DYNGUS”—A GOOD WORD FOR THE DICTIONARY GAME. (1)
- Nick: We’ve gotten a lot of joy out of a similar game called “Wise & Otherwise.” Instead of a...