WAS THE DELPHIC ORACLE A SCAM? Since we don’t believe in oracles, it is not surprising we think of Delphi as a scam. However, even when Delphi was in its heyday jokes about fraudulent oracles were featured in Greek comedies. It was a point in favor of Delphi that in its thousand year history there was only only one documented bribery scandal. A point in favor of modern skeptics arises from the fact that the priestess who gave the oracles was supposedly in a trance when she did so. This wikipedia article says that: “The usual theory has been that the [priestess] delivered oracles in a frenzied state induced by vapors rising from a chasm in the rock….” Excavations, however, had not found a chasm. If the vapor was a scam, then it seemed more likely that the oracle was a scam.
- COMPETING AT BAKING. (2)
- POETRY AND BASEBALL. (2)
- Nick: Correction! It’s @mornacale on Twitter. Slight typo.
- THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. (1)
- THE ETIQUETTE OF EATING PEAS (COMMENT). (1)
- EATING PEAS WITH A KNIFE. (1)
- A MOSQUITO AND DNA. (1)
- HUNTERS IN THE SNOW (WINTER)—THE PAINTING. (1)
- ECONOMICS IS “A COLLECTION OF FUNNY STORIES ABOUT UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES”. (1)
- A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). (1)
- A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. (1)
- “ŚMIGUS-DYNGUS”—A GOOD WORD FOR THE DICTIONARY GAME. (1)
- Nick: We’ve gotten a lot of joy out of a similar game called “Wise & Otherwise.” Instead of a...