HOW BEYOND THE MELTING POT AFFECTED ME. I read BEYOND THE MELTING POT shortly before moving to New York City in 1968. I was skeptical about it because I had incorporated the Melting Pot metaphor in my thinking. Yet one passage in the book affected me. The book argued that Italians in America had demonstrated a talent for living in and preserving urban areas. I had a friend who lived in the North End of Boston and was enthusiastic about it. One of the things I was looking for in an apartment was a location in an Italian neighborhood. I found one on Downing Street in the West Village.
- COMPETING AT BAKING. (2)
- POETRY AND BASEBALL. (2)
- Nick: Correction! It’s @mornacale on Twitter. Slight typo.
- THE OLDEST FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE BEGINS ITS NEW SEASON. (1)
- THE ETIQUETTE OF EATING PEAS (COMMENT). (1)
- EATING PEAS WITH A KNIFE. (1)
- A MOSQUITO AND DNA. (1)
- HUNTERS IN THE SNOW (WINTER)—THE PAINTING. (1)
- ECONOMICS IS “A COLLECTION OF FUNNY STORIES ABOUT UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES”. (1)
- A BIZARRE BASEBALL RULE CHANGE IS IMPLEMENTED (COMMENT). (1)
- A BIZARRE PROPOSED BASEBALL RULE CHANGE. (1)
- “ŚMIGUS-DYNGUS”—A GOOD WORD FOR THE DICTIONARY GAME. (1)
- Nick: We’ve gotten a lot of joy out of a similar game called “Wise & Otherwise.” Instead of a...