“NEVER EAT AT A PLACE CALLED MOM’S…” Kids, you have probably heard the advice, “Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” It probably goes back a long way, but Nelson Algren (in A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE) is usually given credit for it .
- THE LONG-RUNNING WAR BETWEEN CANADA AND DENMARK. (2)
- TURNING POP SONGS INTO SHAKESPEARIAN SONNETS. (1)
- Mary Jane Schaefer: I had never heard it before, until it popped up somewhere and caught me by surprise, the song...
- “AH, SOLDIER!” (3)
- Catullus: You’re all wrong. “Ah, Soldier!” is the Bowdlerised version. She actually shrieks...
- WAS MY PROBLEM WITH ROMULUS THAT IT WAS A EUROPEAN PLAY? (2)
- ROBERT CONQUEST, THE HISTORIAN. (2)
- FORMULA 1 AND TREATING HEART ATTACKS. (3)
- Mary Jane Schaefer: Working on Draft II of a new play, I discovered, just by happenstance, a new process. For two...
- VIDAL VERSUS BUCKLEY. (1)
- Mary Jane Schaefer: Well, intellectuals are people too, and emotionally involved in their debates. The problem...
- ROMULUS—WHAT I HOLD AGAINST GORE VIDAL. (1)
- Mary Jane Schaefer: One of the things I heard Gore Vidal say has stayed with me for years: “The mind must have...
- SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS THAT GOES UNRECOGNIZED AS SCIENCE (COMMENT). (1)
- Mary Jane Schaefer: Fifty-seven minutes is almost a full hour. Is this really timely enough to save someone...